Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Procrastibaking over... for now.

It has taken me years, literally years, to decide that I have procrastibaked as many times as my clothes will allow me to (without having to throw them all out and upsize!) and finally start a blog.

I recently joined a MOOC (another new acronym to add to my vernacular) that encouraged its participants to explore the power of blogging as a means of connecting.  So, ETMOOC you have succeeded where many have previously failed as when I hit publish, I am officially a blogger!

What does that actually mean or matter?  Who is actually going to read what I write?  What am I going to write about that has any significance or merit?  When am I going to find the time to write?  What if my posts aren't perfect?  Or worst of all... what if there is a spelling or grammatical error in what I write?!?

I recently read that the main two obstacles to blogging were perfectionism and procrastination http://iag.me/socialmedia/4-barriers-to-blogging/ I definitely suffer from both of these.  This coupled with my FOMO (fear of missing out) means that I have very little "downtime" in my life to reflect and write.  Being a senior English teacher also resulted in reading so many words that teenagers had written daily that my eyes genuinely hurt and the last thing I wanted to do was read or write (the harsh reality that inflicts many English teachers who start teaching because of their love for both of these!)

While my recent departure from the classroom has left me missing the incessant laughter that ensues with the antics of a room full of teenagers, it has also for the first time, in almost a decade, meant that I suddenly WANT to read and write and I don't even care if what I write isn't grammatically perfect**

Let's hope that my sugar cravings subside for long enough to make a second entry at the very least!



**This statement is entirely untrue and I definitely want anyone who reads this to pick me up on any errors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment